Friday, September 20, 2013

Cleaning Up Stereotypes

We booked our first cleaning service today. And I feel really guilty about it. And a little paranoid I might add. But I'm sure it's normal the first time, right?

This is extremely stereotypical to admit - but when I heard a knock at the door, I expected a woman not a man. And I didn't expect him to look.... how do I say this.... a little rough around the edges? All the reviews about this company reflected upon how professional the "women in uniform" looked; this was not what I saw when I opened the door. No woman. No uniform.

I feel awful for even thinking it, but it's true. I am uneasy with the idea that a man is cleaning my home right now. Maybe because I've never met a man that could clean so good lol. I mean really, get down on his hands and knees and clean like my mom taught us to... To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I would feel better if woman did it either. But I would have some kind of false satisfaction knowing she would automatically do a great job.

The whole idea of having a cleaning person to begin with is incredibly taboo in my culture. I mean, (stereo-typically speaking) WE ARE the cleaning people! But my husband and I have found ourselves in a pinch and with super busy schedules, we decided to give it a shot. It's not that we're incapable of cleaning, but giving our home a good hands-and-knees-scrub-down would take a whole day, and right now we can't justify compromising the little bit of "free" time we have in return. I would rather go for a walk or catch a game or just lounge around! I mean, we don't have kids- so it's not THAT messy. But housework is housework, and right now, we are blessed with the option to have someone else do it for us... So why not?

This man (in my home) was very polite, arrived early and wasted no time in getting to work. He asked all the right questions and was careful when bringing in his equipment. So why should it matter?

I don't know where this preconceived notion came from, but I hope he proves me wrong so I don't think like this again. I've been stereotyped against (plenty), and I am completely mindful that it's not my fault - but he who judges, which, in this case- is me.

I am a progressive thinker and I'm disappointed in myself for thinking this way. But I couldn't help it today and I'm really trying to understand why. Maybe because, in my home growing up- my mom, sister and I did all the housework and my father didn't? Maybe because my aunts and cousins had the same routine... ? But my husband and I are not like that. We equally share the chores around the house and I love that. I wouldn't have it any other way. So where does this unsettling feeling come from? Cómo dicen por ahí, "sepa la bola". 

I won't go down that road, tough; my train of thought stops here.

No more feeding into the bullshit

2 comments:

  1. Sepa la Bola! great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Thank you! As an update, things didn't work out so well with the original cleaning company; I wasn't happy with the turnout (for the price) BUT I'm happy to report that our new cleaning person is a guy - and we couldn't be happier with his services.

      Delete