Thursday, September 12, 2013

Observation + Inspiration

Such a warm and lovely night we had on Tuesday. It was one of those weird summer days in Chicago when it should feel like fall, but instead it’s a scorching 96 degrees + humidity. That night, however, was perfect. My landlord invited us to an impromptu cookout on our rooftop, which I love because it’s anything but ordinary. While we were sitting there getting to know his guest from Brazil and new tenant from Italy- it hit me how incredibly lucky I am to live in true diversity. Yes, TRUE diversity – not the corporate America BS definition. You know, they employ an African American, Middle Eastern and Latino and call it a day. Our view of diversity is so incredibly skewed it blows my mind sometimes.

I grew up in a suburb where we had an equal mix of ethnicity: White, Black, Middle Eastern and Latino. That was always normal to me. On my first day of college, we had to share something about ourselves that was interesting or unique – or something – you know the drill. When it came to the girl sitting next to me, she quietly said “this is the first time I am in a room with a person of color” – say whaaaaaaaaaat?? This isn't the 60’s, girl. I’ll never forget the look on her face or the expression on mine lol. I couldn't believe this poor girl, in her 18-or-so years of life was so sheltered. But it’s not her fault. And I applaud her for leaving Bufu, IL or wherever the hell she came from to experience the real world.

If you haven’t experienced TRUE diversity, you need to get on it.

Back to my rooftop story: at one point of the night, there was an Egyptian, Brazilian, Italian, Guatemalan, Irish-Norwegian and a couple of Mexicans listening to African music. We were learning about each other in a way that could never be read in a text book; swapping travel stories, favorite foods, old traditions, learning phrases in Portuguese – I mean, it was awesome. I don’t normally step back and take time to admire the amazing company that surrounds me, but that night I did. (and it made me realize I should do it more often)

You have so much to gain and nothing to lose from having an open mind. I mean, really – OPEN YOUR MIND. Learn something new, get lost, travel alone, travel with someone, make friends with a stranger, ask someone about their goals and aspirations, do the things you’re not “supposed to do”- because it isn’t “safe” or whatever the bullshit reason is. Use common sense, obviously - but you get my point. Let go of your fears and get out there! Travel with your mind. There is sooooo much to learn! "The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open."

Here is a little inspiration
(my favorite short-videos of all time)

Okay – where are you really going with this, Daisy.

I am inspired. And I am starting a new project called enséñame (teach me). It’s a project with a mission to learn things about cultures from all over the world, more specifically- about their food, art and tradition. I will document and publish my findings here. My mom will bless the project as my first “teacher” this weekend. 

I hope I inspire YOU to learn something new. Stay tuned! 


You should read more.







6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it! Good luck! and I can see you are already having fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support, D! I'm really excited to start :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daisy, Feel free to check out my site: jenvera.com for some travel stories from backpacking in Mexico and my upcoming stories about India, Burma, Indonesia and wherever I decide to go in Europe. Here are some stories from backpacking Mexico: http://jenvera.com/category/mexico/
    Thanks and enjoy! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Jennifer! I would love to connect with you about your adventures, especially in Burma. Happy travels!

      Delete