Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Decision to Drink The Juice

10/1/15 Update: I now drink doTERRA juice

Earlier this year, I made the decision to become an entrepreneur for the second time (like I didn't learn my lesson the first time, right?) lol. Definitely venturing off into uncharted waters and pushing my comfort zone to the limit. But again, I've made a decision to make this work, so there is no turning back.

I was introduced to a network marketing company by the name of Arbonne 4 years ago. I was running my own marketing business at the time, and met this lovely woman at a networking event I was hosting. She asked me out to lunch so we could learn more about each other and I agreed. 

While at lunch I quickly realized I was being pitched to. I was a little upset and felt misguided because (I thought) this wasn't a "real" business, and now - I was an hour behind on my "real" work. At the end of her presentation, she asked if I was interested in joining her team. I couldn't possibly tell her how I really felt about the business, however, I did love the product mantra and what they stood by. I politely declined, but I did agree to introduce her to people in my network and even host a party for her. I'm grateful my introductions lead Arbonne to be the leading sponsor of Latino Fashion Week in the year that followed.  

At that point in time, network marketing was a joke to me. I mean, (insert snooty voice) I went to college! I had a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Advertising and Communications. There's no way I was going to be peddling products, no matter how 'green' they were. I'm not a sales person. Besides, a few close friends and family had already given this kind of business a shot and had nothing to show for it. This doesn't work. I was often (aggressively) asked to join other skin care companies from strangers on the street, and worst of all - my parents were talked into refinancing their home, all for the sake of someone's commission -when they had no business doing so. I wasn't going to be THAT person. 

So what the heck happened? Why did I drink the juice? Well, it was a combination of things that lead me to that defining moment.

First, while I didn't join Arbonne that one day over lunch, I did begin a friendship with that lovely woman. Beneen was never pushy, always respectful, kind, understanding and genuine. Completely different from any other network marketer I met before. As we kept in touch over the years, I realized - this really is a business and it really does work. She was the only living proof I had that you actually can make it, you can win trips, you can be successful! While I was working long and tiring days, she was enjoying them at the luxury of her own schedule. I secretly envied that...but it would still take  some time and convincing before I could pour me a glass. 

Second reason. The birth of my son. All the clichés are true; once you have a baby - your entire world changes. Your priorities change. Your heart quadruples in size and everything you do, every decision you make - is with them in mind. I went back to work after an 11 week maternity leave, not because I wanted to - but because my FMLA was coming to an end. It was one of the toughest things I had to do; handing my son over to the arms of a stranger gave me so much anxiety. I lost sleep and cried for days leading up to that moment. And it didn't help that the first day of daycare was a complete and utter disaster due to neglect. (Which I can't even get into right now without my blood pressure rising). My maternal instincts were on high alert and I just couldn't bare to miss out on so much. 

I tried to find comfort by reading articles and blogs on moms that go back to work after baby. But the only encouragement I found was "it gets easier with time". I just couldn't accept this as a final answer.  I had to find a better way.

Just 4 years after I gave Beneen a hard "no", I found myself having lunch with her again, only this time, with my baby in tow, scrambling for ideas that would grant me time and financial freedom. By now, I was making a 3 hour commute (a day) just so I could rest assured my son was in good hands. I had very little sleep (aside from tending to his needs) and was completely passionless in my corporate position. My career became a job overnight. My only passion, was, is, my son.

I don't believe in having regrets. Life is much too short to dwell on the past. However, I'll be the first to admit that I am ashamed of my behavior, mindset and immaturity back then. In these past four years- I wish I had been more open minded about such an incredible opportunity. One that will allow me to enjoy my son, family and personal and financial freedom as I wish. As before, many things aligned for me in order to take that leap, and I'm soooo glad I did! There is no "luck"or magic sauce in this business. It takes learning skills, dedication and the DECISION to succeed, no matter what the masses say about you. I've been so blessed with an incredible mentor and hell of a team - that reinforces my decision to be successful. I've also read a lot of books and seen great documentaries that reaffirm network marketing truly is a better way. 

If you've ever found yourself even the slightest bit curious about joining a network marketing company, I encourage you to take a sip. Start with this video with one of my favorite authors, Eric Worre interviewing one of my favorite life coaches Tony Robbins on The Power Of Network Marketing.

And to those who are sipping away without raising your glass, let's CHEER together! I can't tell you how many times I'm in the middle of presenting my business to someone, and low and behold - they secretly own a network marketing business too! Doubt and confidence cannot coexist. OWN your decision. Stand up tall and be proud of the life-changing opportunity you hold. If you don't feel it in your heart, take some time to find your WHY. Your "why" will guide you to your "how", and the rest will surely follow. 







3 comments:

  1. Great post! I took a sip of the Arbonne juice too and have been loving it!!!
    http://trailofsprinkles.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, for the comment! Love your blog :) Stay unstoppable!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete