Monday, August 17, 2015

The Power of Vision

I've gotten to experience some pretty amazing things in my 30 years of life. Some may call it "luck" - I call it pure manifestation. I must admit though, it wasn't until I was about 24 that I began to realize the things in my life that were happening, were no accident. If you ever doubted the power of intention or the law of attraction, there may be hope for you written in these words.

To my believers, dreamers and goal achievers; I'd like to share with you some experiences that could not have been possible without a premeditated vision.

Becoming an Entrepreneur: I was looking through old boxes the other day, and I found a project I developed in my entrepreneurship class while in college. It talked about this boutique company that offered PR, event planning and marketing to the fabulous world of fashion named De La Croix. At the time, I created the business with a location in Coconut Grove, Miami. And basically it was going to be the shit. Heavens knows how I was going to build this magical company with no money or years of experience, but I was certain in my heart I was going to do it. Just one year after I graduated college while scouring craigslist for a job, I accepted that "magical" opportunity, and opened those doors, not in Miami as planned, but in the heart of Chicago, and not to any fashion icon or store, but to many meaningful businesses and non-profits. Many things took place before the moment where I said "yes!" and took the leap that turned me into a business owner. Again, some may call it "luck" or being "at the right place at the right time" - but I mean, seriously - what are the odds of that happening to a 23 year old? And isn't being in the right place at the right time part of a universal plan anyway?  Operating De La Croix Media Group was one of the most difficult and rewarding times of my young adult life. And while I am no longer running this company, I am incredibly grateful for the 3.5 year we had, the projects we created and the lives we've changed.

Traveling the World: In 2011, while DLC Media was still in business, I decided it was going to travel far and wide. Again, I didn't have that kind of money and I didn't know how I was going to do it, but my intention and belief was so strong, that it lead me to having one of the best travel experiences of my life- almost immediately after my intention was set. (For free!) Yea, trust me, I know how that sounds, but its true!

First was my trip to Kenya, Africa - which was without a doubt the most defining out of these experiences. The universe aligned itself for me, and through a non-profit organization, offered me a free- (government grant) to fly abroad and teach Kenyan entrepreneurs Marketing 101 for 2 weeks. Because the opportunity was so grand, I stayed almost the entire month and visited the countryside, went on 2 safaris, explored the city of Nairobi, the slums of Kibera, and the breathtaking beaches and city of Mombasa. During this time, I also went to our nations capital (for free), through another program. In the years that followed, I  reconnected with family in Texas, went sky diving in San Diego and traveled to Hong Kong and Bali with my best friend for my 28th birthday. I discovered the beauty of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mexico - and visited the most inspiring museum: La Casa de Frida Khalo in Coyoacán. My fiance and I married in Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico, we had our "baby moon" in Costa Rica, and just 4 months after our son was born, traveled to the Dominican Republic and shortly after to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

I wont say that everything on that list was free - because it wasn't, and I'm not filthy rich by any means. But somehow, all of my travels seemed to be within reach of my budget. Also, in my wanderlust adventures, my mantra has been to travel as a local, not a tourist; to give back and experience total culture immersion. I am so blessed to say I have accomplished that in each of my travels.  Currently, my intention is to travel at least 4 times a year with my family. Here's what that looks like for me:

  • To explore a new state in Mexico
  • To explore a new Latin American Country
  • To explore an Asian or Middle Eastern Country
  • To visit somewhere I've never been, here in the states 
I have no doubt in my mind I will make this, and everything else on my vision board happen.

I've taken the time to write this because I want to encourage you to do the same! There is real power in setting aside quality concentration time to figure out what it is you want out of life. This past weekend, I had the privilege of co-hosting a vision board workshop with ConsciousXplorer at the FABULOUS studio  space of Trigger Chicago. We gathered, shared our vision and proclaimed our intentions to each other, and each of us walked away feeling taller and more confident about our decision to succeed and goal achieve. 

What excited you? What gets you out of bed in the morning? What do you want to be when you "grow up"?  All the experts will agree, there truly is no limit. "What the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve"- Napoleon Hill.  

Give yourself the gift of vision, take action and enjoy this thing called life!



Scuba Diving in the Indian ocean

Henna by my friend Halima Hassan 

Camel riding on Diani Beach, Mombasa

My dear Masai friend, Ole Nkooya

The brightest faces I've ever been greeted with! Kenya  
Some of my accomplishments while running DLC Media Group
Sky diving in San Diego!

Rice Paddy fields in Bali, Indonesia

Exploring Hong Kong

Sunrise Dolphin watching in Bali
In Frida Kahlo's Art Studio! 


Jungle adventures in Costa Rica
Black Sand Beach in Isla de Vieques

Enjoying the most breathtaking private beach in Costa Rica

Rain forest trekking in Costa Rica
Punta Cana, República Dominicana
Visiting el Faro de Colón in Santo Domingo DR
My SUN, enjoying the sand in Cabo San Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment