Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Selfless Struggle

In my last post, I talked about self love and it being a great place to start when looking to change the world around you. This one, is for all the moms who -out-of-love, forget that we need self love, too.
It is my core belief that women are majestic. Our bodies are incredible and we don't hear that often enough, so hear me now.

Something amazing happens when you become a Mom. Not to slide dads in any of this, but I believe there is automatic re-wiring of thoughts and emotions and suddenly your mental capacity pours selflessly into another human; one you've created. For moms with multiple children, this happens approximately every 2 or 3 years.

I was infatuated with learning about the development of my son while pregnant; completely mesmerized at how life begins and unfolds in the womb. I felt amazing (yes, I was one of those ladies with a glorious pregnancy), but nothing could prepare me for the surreal love and devotion I would feel as soon as they placed him in my arms.

For many moms, our physical and emotional world changes once our baby is born. You love, think-of and care-for this tiny little human from here on out - slowly forgetting about yourself and your needs. It's okay at first, right? You think- "I can swing this no-sleep, messy hair, dark-eye-circle thing." And you may, for a little while. The truth is, our love for this new being is so beyond words that it can easily create a false sense of care. We feel accomplished if baby is happy, dressed, fed and snuggled asleep. But what about you? When is it okay to sneak back to the top of your list? As a mom of an almost 2 year old, I recently discovered I'm one of those moms who unintentionally finishes last. If my son is taken care of, I'm happy. I feel accomplished. I feel like all is well, even if a small voice inside says somethings missing.  It takes a brave friend to say "you're doing great, but think of how much more amazing you can contribute to the world around you if you took care of yourself first?" She's right.

Selfless acts of love and self care can be hard for moms, but I'm taking a stand to say no, it doesn't have to be! Maybe it's not mom guilt, maybe you don't even realize you're doing it. Wherever you are, take a deep breath and know that you're doing amazing.

I prefer to deposit self love in the morning, before anyone else gets up. It's very refreshing and it instantly puts me in a good mood. Incorporating essential oils to my routine is just icing on the cake.

Here are a three morning routine tips to get you started. There is no right or wrong way, the bottom line is to carve out some time for you and what you enjoy doing.
  • In those first few moments upon waking up,  you are in pure awareness. Instead of picking up your phone and scrolling through your feed or checking emails, meditate/pray and give thanks. Sit in gratitude for 5 minutes if that's all you have. Become present in the new day and set an intention. 
  • Read 10 minutes or 10 pages from a book you enjoy. I great book I just finished reading is Strong Mothers, Strong Sons by Meg Meeker (read it, love it) 
  • If you have extra time on your hands, journal. Write down everything that comes to your mind; leave the self judgment behind. Morning Pages are a good way to clear the subconscious and start with a clean slate. 
How do you start your day? Contact me if you're interested in a free consultation. 

In health and love, 
Daisy


Image taken from @heyletsmakestuff

1 comment: